September 22nd Recipes:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
Add all the spices to a mason jar. Cover tightly and shake! Enjoy on chicken, shrimp, or beef!
Eating Smart Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup dried, minced onion
- 2 cups dried milk, non-fat
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Store in airtight container.
3. Use in recipes as indicated.
Homemade Ranch Seasoning (Dressing Mix)
- ½ cup buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chives
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place in an airtight container and store up to 6 months.
August 25th Recipes:
- 1 32 oz chicken broth fat-free
- 1 boneless chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups vegetables (fresh chopped, such as potatoes, carrots, celery, or
- cabbage)or 1 package frozen soup vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley (dried)
- Use leftover cooked chicken, or cook enough chicken to make 1 cup of chicken pieces.
- Place the cooked chicken in a large saucepan.
- Add the broth and uncooked rice. Cover the pan.
- Bring the broth and rice to a boil.
- Cover the pan, and turn the heat to low.
- Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, chopped vegetables, and seasonings.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes unl the vegetables are tender.
July 28th Recipes:
Cornbread Pan Cakes
- ¾ cup cornmeal ( white or yellow, but not cornbread mix)
- ¼ cup flour
- *1 cup of cornmeal may be used by omitting the flour
- 1t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (use more or less depending on how thick you like your batter)
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil spray
Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Next, beat the egg and add it to the dry ingredients. Add buttermilk by gradually mixing to desired consistency. Heat a non-stick skillet. Spray with the non-stick spray. Spoon batter into hot skillet, about ¼ cup per cake. Once bubbles form all over top, turn and cook the other side. Serve with butter and vegetables.
Baked (just like fried) Okra
- Fresh okra (1 quart basket)
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ t salt
- ½ t black pepper
- 1 t garlic powder
- 2T olive oil
Cut up okra into 1/2 to 1/4 inch slices and put in a large bowl. Pour oil into okra and mix well. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and mix well. Add the cornmeal and mix well. Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
Purple Hull Peas
- 1 1/2 cup raw purple hull peas
- 1 t salt
- 3 cups water
- 4 to 6 oz smoked cooked ham cut into bite sized pieces
Place all ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir to prevent foaming. Cover and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Serve with cornbread.
Serve all of the above with fresh, sliced tomatoes.
June 23rd Recipes:
Skillet seared steak
- 6 oz beef filet
- Garlic powder
- 1 package frozen brown rice
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 roasted red pepper, rough chop
- 2 T olive oil
- Cut beef filet in half crosswise
- Season the beef with ½ t salt, black pepper, and garlic powder
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a skillet. Cook the steak on each side for about 4-5 minutes, check with a quick read thermometer for 135 degrees F for medium
- Remove steak from skillet
Prepare rice in microwave according to instructions. Add 1 T olive oil to the skillet. Add roasted red pepper, rice, 1/8 t salt and ½ can beef broth. Stir until broth is absorbed.
Make a bed of rice and serve beef on top.
(optional: add mushrooms, asparagus, and sautéed onion)
- 3 tomatoes, preferably Heirloom and fresh
- 1 16 oz ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 15 basil leaves (more if you love basil)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ t salt
- ½ t black pepper
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 Cup lightly packed arugula (preferably fresh)
- Wash and slice the tomatoes
- Thinly slice the fresh mozzarella
- Chiffonade the basil
Alternate tomato slices with cheese slices around a plate on a bed of arugula
season with salt and pepper and generously sprinkle the basil shreds over the plate.
Top with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (vinegar is optional)
Broiled Peach dessert
Fresh peaches: 1 half peach per person
1/8 t salt
1 t brown sugar per peach half
¼ t cinnamon per peach half
- Slice peaches in half and remove the pit
- Lightly sprinkle each peach half with salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Broil under med. broiler for 4 or 5 minutes or until peaches are heated and sugar is caramelized
- Serve alone or with whipped cream or a small scoop of ice cream