Who should use the Online Family Caregiver Workshop?
The workshop is for people who care for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or another type of dementia. Dementia is a term for problems with thinking and memory loss that are not likely to get better over time. When you understand signs, treatment options, and how to plan for your loved one’s care, you can help your loved one and yourself.
What will I learn in the workshop?
You will learn:
- The basics about Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia
- How to care for someone with dementia:
- With respect for them
- In a way that preserves their dignity
- In a way that gives them a better quality of life
Is the workshop all online?
Yes, the whole workshop is online. You can watch it any place you have internet access.
How long is the workshop?
The workshop is split into 10 videos. Some are as short as 3 minutes, and some are almost 30 minutes. The entire workshop takes about 2 hours to complete. You can choose to watch any videos that interest you. You can watch them in any order you like.
Is the workshop available in Spanish?
The workshop has Spanish subtitles. To view the subtitles:
- Click on the link of the video you want to watch. This will take you to the YouTube site.
- On the YouTube video, turn on the subtitles. Click on the “Subtitles/Closed captions” button in the bottom right corner. (Example of button shown below)
The subtitles may first appear in English. To change them to Spanish:
- Click on the gear button in the bottom right corner. It is next to the “Subtitle/closed captions” button. (Example of gear button shown below)
- After you click the gear button, a menu will appear. In the menu, select “Subtitles/CC.”
- Select Spanish from the list of languages.
How do I get started with the workshop?
To start the workshop, click on any of the links below. You do not need to register or pay a fee to view or watch.
UAMS AGEC Online Family Caregiver Workshop: Click here to play entire Workshop (all 10 parts, in 10 videos)
- Part 1, The Diagnosis of Dementia
- Part 2, What is Caregiving?
- Part 3, Creating a Care Plan
- Part 4, Stages of Dementia and the Role of the Caregiver
- Part 5, Caregiver Duties
- Part 6, Tools and Resources
- Part 7, Caregiver Self Care
- Part 8, Addressing Behaviors with Dementia
- Part 9, Shared Decision Making
- Part 10, Discharge Planning